Thursday, April 10, 2008

While I Was Away ...

OK, so heaps of stuff has happened since my last update. Heaps. In brief:

*Back from Sydney. (Miss y'all, Mecca.)

*Lots of training and behind the scenes stuff for the Vic Barista Comp.

*Super Jolly went missing; slumming it with a Kony.

*Robur becomes a permanent addition to the bench at work. That thing is so good that I'm embarrassed to have ever served coffee without it. We have had a heap of different grinders on the bench, but I'd trade all of them for a single Robur.

*Currently drinking the first iteration of Andrew's new blend for Maling Room. It's a simple, chocolate-bar style blend, done very well. Clean, but not afraid to stand up to milk. I respect Andrew's take on just going with the basics in times where fruity coffees are disappointing.

At the moment, I have mixed feelings about a number of trends happening in the coffee industry. When we talk about raising the bar, we are always implicitly talking about raising two bars; the lower one, representing the average standard, and the higher one, representing the state of the art. The lower bar usually represented establishments that quite overtly didn't give a damn, whilst the higher bar was usually held up by people willing to invest serious time and money. On the one hand, I'm concerned that we're starting to see a flocking to the middle, in which people are talking the talk, but failing to even put in a decent effort at walking the walk ... if not cynically ripping people off. On the other hand, we are also seeing an increase in establishments pushing up the top end. This blog will focus on the latter, as will I.

Until next time, when I hope to talk about some dudes who are doing it right, a teaser ...


... guesses welcome.

10 Comments:

At 10:49 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

You are such a bloody tease.

Some sort of cold sardinian wind?

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger "Grendel" said...

You're getting a La Marzocco Mistral?

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I saw it today....will actually try a coffee when I have more time.

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Dre, you should be keeping your eyes on the road and not looking into cafes while driving the bus. :p

On a serious note... is it open yet? Someone email me the address.

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger Luca said...

Grendel, it's not me and they already have it.

Nim (?), I think that it is scheduled to open not next Monday, but the Monday after. The Mistral is making great coffee, but I suspect that the Robur needs a bit more stuff run through it to break in the burrs. They're also considering changing the jetting on the groups, but I actually like it how it is.

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Grendel: Luca's luxury at home is a Kony grinder... he hasnt upgraded to a deluxe espresso machine... yet.

So who wants to go in two mondays from now?

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Shuddup Nim

Hope the blend they use does the mistral justice.

 
At 1:24 AM, Blogger tangie said...

hey you have to bring me to this place when I come over

 
At 12:29 AM, Blogger David said...

AS IF...I hope the Mistral does the blend justice :P :P :P

hahaha

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

The new mistral at mecca, very naaarrrrce!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home